Alcohol Technology & Biofuels - Publications
1. Contents of publication
2. Download order form here (Latest available for 2018-2019 season)
List Of Patent
“An improved plant for the treatment of spentwash to produce powdered fuel for generating energy with minimum pollution” Patent No. 173173 dated 28/10/1994.
“A microcontroller based system for measurement of solvent concentration” Number 197798 dated 23rd May, 2001.
“Method of pre-clarification of molasses to improve the fermentation efficiency thereof” patent application number 201821039366 dated 17th October, 2018.
List Of Publications
“Optimizing ethanol production from sugarcane juice/syrup, B-Heavy molasses and sugar” Dr.S.V. Patil, Head and Technical Adviser, Department of Alcohol Technology and Biofuels, VSI, presented in Sugar Technologists Association of India conference on 27th September, 2019 at Goa.
One-day workshop entitled “Use of sugarcane juice/syrup, B-Hy molasses and sugar for enhancement of fuel ethanol production and recent advances” was jointly organized by the Department of Alcohol Technology and Biofuels, VSI and MRSSK Sangh Ltd. at Vasantdada Sugar Institute on 28th August 2019 with the active participation of sugar mills and distilleries from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Following presentations were presented during the technical sessions.
“Cost economics of ethanol production from sugarcane juice/syrup BH molasses and sugar”. Dr. S. V. Patil, Head and Technical Adviser, Department of Alcohol Technology and Biofuels,
“Evaluation of pilot scale plant performance of pre-clarified molasses to improve alcoholic fermentation” Dr. K.S. Konde, Joint Technical Adviser, VSI
“Demand and supply status of ethanol in India” Mr. R.G. Mane, Secretary, Ethanol Association of India
“Potash recovery from incineration boiler ash” Mr. Avinash B. Deshmukh, Technical Officer
“Practical experience and advantages of ethanol production from B-Hy molasses route” Mr. D.M. Vare, Distillery Manager, LokneteSunddarraojiSolanke SSK Ltd.
“Ethanol production from white sugar or raw sugar” Mr. S.A. Patil, Scientist, VSI
“Monitoring and certification of ethanol production from sugarcane juice and B-Hy molasses” Dr. V.P. Sidnale, Senior Sugar Technologist, VSI and Mr. R.V. Godage, Scientist, VSI.
“2G lactic acid production from sugarcane bagasses using Bacillus coagulans NCIM 5648” S. V. Patil, K. S. Konde, S. D. Patil and R. V. Burase. Presented at Proceedings of the XXX International Society of Sugar Cane Technologists, Argentina, 2019.
“Perfecting recoveries from distillery waste water” Dr.S.V. Patil, Head and Technical Adviser, Department of Alcohol Technology and Biofuels, VSI, Presented in Global Water Summit,2019 on 8 to 10 April at London, UK
Patil S. V. “Emerging issues of new ethanol policy”
Presented at All India Distillers’ Association (AIDA), New Delhi on February 7th & 8th, 2019.
Patil S. V. “Enhancing first generation ethanol production opportunities and challenges”
Presented at IISER, (Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research), Pune on February 4th, 2019.
Patil S. V. “Enhancing fuel ethanol production through B-Heavy molasses and sugarcane juice routes”
Presented at Jubilant Life sciences, Noida, Uttar Pradesh on September 19th, 2018.
1. S. V. Patil, K. S.Konde, S. D. Patil and R. V.Burase. 2G lactic acid production from sugarcane bagasse using Bacillus coagulans NCIM 5648, XXX ISSCT Congress, 31 August – 8 September 2019,
2. R. V. Burase, S. V. Patil, R. D. Joshi “Isolation of Thiobacillusspecies from distillery spent wash and its sulfide oxidation activity” (2019). International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences,
ISSN: 2321-3272 (Print), ISSN: 2230-7605 (Online) IJPBS, Volume 9, Special Issue 2- ICESMT, 152-158.
3. R. V. Burase, S. V. Patil, R. D. Joshi “Minimization of sulfide content of spent wash during biomethanation using isolated consortia of sulphur oxidizing microorganisms” (2019). Journal of Advances
in Applied Sciences and Technology, ISSN: 2392-8188, Vol. 4, Issue1, 8-17.
4. R. Arora, S. Behera, N. K. Sharma, S. Kumar (2019). Evaluating the pathway for co-fermentation of glucose and xylose for enhanced bioethanol production using flux balance analysis.
Biotechnology Bioprocess Engineering, 24, 924-933 (DOI: 10.1007/s12257-019-0026-5).
5. S. Jagatee, J. R. Rout, S. Behera, S. S. Ram, M. Sudarshan, C. Pradhan, S. L. Sahoo, R. C. Mohanty (2020). Effect of enzymatic hydrolysis on structural, chemical and elemental properties of sweet
potato flour. Waste and Biomass Valorization (DOI: 10.1007/s12649-020-00984-9.
6. “Minimization of sulfide content of spentwash during biomethanation using isolated consortia of sulphur oxidizing microorganisms” Raghunath V. Burase, Sanjay V. Patil, Rajendra D. Joshi. Journal of
Advances in Applied Sciences and Technology (2019) Vol. 4, Issue1,8-17
7. “Isolation of Thiobacillus species from distillery spentwash and its sulfide oxidation activity” Raghunath V, Burase, Sanjay V. Patil, Rajendra D. Joshi (2019). International Journal of Pharmacy and
Biological Sciences, Volume 9, Special Issue 2- ICESMT, 152-158.
8. “Producing alcohol and extracting yeast from molasses cassava and bagasse”. Patil S. V. Presented in The 5th TTC Annual International Sugarcane Conference, organized jointly by the TTC Group
and Vietnam Sugarcane and Sugar Association (VSSA) at Phan Thiet city, Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam during 17th – 18th August 2017
9. “Pilot scale studies of biomethanation of high brix spentwash using developed consortium of microorganisms” Burase R. V., Patil R. S., Rathod Gopal, Misale Govind and Dr. Patil S. V. Presented at
63rd Annual convention organized by “Deccan Sugar Technologists Association” at Belgavi (K.S.) from 14th to 15th July, 2017, Page no. 325-335.
10. Enhanced bio-ethanol production from different sugarcane bagasse cultivars using co-culture of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Scheffersomyces (Pichia) stipitis. Ingle S., Paradh A., Dudhane A., &
Patil S., (2017). Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 5(3), 2861-2868.
11. “Prospects and challenges of cellulosic ethanol production in India” S. V. Patil, S. R. Ingle, A. D. Paradh. Presented at 74th Annual Convention of STAI at Delhi 2016, pp 660-670.
12. “Diacetyl formation in molasses fermentation and its separation in distillation - a case study” R. S. Patil and S. V. Patil. Presented at XIth Joint Convention of STAI and DSTA at Goa 2015, pp 776-
13. “Ayurvedic hydro-alcoholic anti-asthmatic medicine Vasarishta built from Mritasanjeevani Sura: Development and evaluation” Asmita S. Wele, Nikhil U. Pendse, Shrikant P. Takle, Raghunath V.
Burase, Sanjay V. Patil, Supriya Bhalerao, Abhay M. Harsulkar. An International Quarterly Journal of Research in Ayurveda, Vol. 36, Issue 3, Jul-Sep 2015, pp 311-316.
14. “Cellulosic ethanol production from sugarcane bagasse using individual and mixed cultures of different pentoses and hexoses fermenting microorganisms” Paradh A. D, Dudhane, A. A., Ingle S. R.
and Patil S. V. International Society of Sugar Cane Technologists-Co-Products Workshop held from 30th November to 4th December 2015 at Mauritius.
15. “Bioethanol production: Feedstock and current technologies” Mustafa Vohra, Jagdish Manwar, Rahul Manmode, Satish Padgilwar, Sanjay Patil. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2
16. “Compliance to zero liquid discharge norms in Indian distilleries: technical challenges and solutions” Dr. Sanjay V. Patil. Sugar Industry 139 (2014) No. 10, pp 610-616.
17. “Determination of withanolides from the roots and herbal formulation of Withania somnifera by HPLC using DAD and ELSD detector” J. V. Manwar, K. R. Mahadik, A. R. Paradkar, S. P. Takle, L.
Sathiyanarayanan and S. V. Patil. Pelagia Research Library, Der Pharmacia Sinica, 2012, 3 (1): 41-46.
18. “Effect of pre-sterilization on physicochemical parameters and in vitro free radical scavenging potential of Saraswatarishta” Omkar Kulkarni, Shital Giramkar, Gauri Ligade, Aarti Narkhede, Soura v
Mukherjee, Shrikant Takle, Sanjay Patil, Suresh Jagtap. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2012, 5 (5), 2657-2663.
19. “New method for measurement of foaming characteristics of cane molasses and effects of foaming on alcoholic fermentation” M. L. Kadam, R. S. Patil, R. N. More and S. V. Patil. Published in the
10th Joint convention of STAI and DSTA.
20. “Reduction of Volatile Fatty Acids (VFA) from final molasses” V. P. Sidanale , M. L. Kadam , R.V.Burase , L.S. -Dalvi, R. V. Dani and S.V.Patil. Presented at 10th Joint Convention of STAI and DSTA
held at Pune, 2011, pp (Manufacturing) 181-189.
21. “Estimation of Carbohydrates by HPLC for development of Molecular Marker Tool” S. B. Kalwade, S. P. Takle, P. G. Kawar, R. V Devrumth, K. H. Babu and S. V. Patil.. Presented at 10th Joint
Convention of STAI and DSTA held at Pune, 2011, pp (General & Co-products) 26- 35.
22. “Effect, causes and remedies of volatile fatty acids (VFA) in final molasses” V. P. Sidnale, L. S. Dalvi, R. V. Dani, M. L. Kadam, R. V. Burase and S. V. Patil, Presented at 41st Annual Convention o f
SISSTA held at Chennai, 2011, pp (Process) 225-234.
23. “Research and development driven Indian sugar industry: Present status and future prospects” S. V. Patil and R. V. Dani, Presented at 28th ISSCT Management Commission Workshop held at
Mamallapuram, Tamilnadu, India, from 24th to 27th August 2011.
24. “Technology options for achieving “Zero Liquid Discharge” in molasses based distilleries”. D. A. Patil, M. L. Kadam and S. V. Patil. Presented at 9th Joint Convention of STAI and SISSTA held at
Chennai, 2010, pp General and Co-Product 48-59.
25. “Ethanol production from cane molasses by a thermotolerant strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae” M. H. Vohra, R. V. Burase, S. P. Takle and S. V. Patil, Presented at 9th Joint Convention of STAI
and SISSTA held at Chennai, 2010, pp General and Co-Product 60-74.
26. “HPLC method for estimation of polyhydroxy alcohols and sugars in bio-glycerol production” S. P. Takale, M. H. Vohra and S. V. Patil. In proceedings of the 59th annual convention of DSTA, 25-34.
27. “Isolation and Selection of Thermotolerant Saccharomyces cerevisiae Strains for Alcoholic Fermentation” R. V. Burase and S. V. Patil. Presented at 57th Annual Convention of Deccan Sugar
Technologists’ Association. 2009, pp COP1-8.
28. “Optimization of GC Method for Quantitative Estimation of Volatile Compounds in Distilled Alcoholic Beverages” S. P. Takle and S. V. Patil. Presented at 57th Annual Convention of Deccan Sugar
Technologists’ Association. 2009, pp COP9-16.
29. “Enhancing ethanol production using sugar processing intermediates" S. V. Patil & R. V. Dani In Proceedings of the 67th Annual Convention of STAI, held at Ahmadabad 2005, pp 89-98.
30. “Critical Influence of pH and Invertase Addition on Polyols Production by H. Anomala in Sucrose based Medium” S. V. Patil, R. V. Burase, V. K. Jayaraman and B. D. Kulkarni. Presented in the
SPRI-2004 conference on “Sugar Processing Research New Developments” held at Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A. pp 461-470.
31. “Process development for polyols production by H.anomala in sucrose based medium: Effect of inoculum size” R.V.Burase & S. V. Patil. In Proceedings of the 66th Annual Convention of STAI, held
at Chandigarh on 14-16th August 2004, pp 82-90.
32. “Alternative raw materials for ethanol production vis-à-vis sugar quality improvement”. M. B. Londhe, S. V. Patil & K. B. Kale. Presented in the 52th Annual convention of DSTA, 2003, pp B22-31.
33. "Memory Based Local Learning: Application to Process Engineering Problems" Abhijit J. Kulkarni, Sanjay V. Patil, Valadi K. Jayaraman and Bhaskar D. Kulkarni. International Journal of Chemical
Reactor Engineering, 2003, Vol. 1: A23, pp 1-15.
34. “Performance evaluation of Biologic-SR2 additive for primary anaerobic digestor treating molasses based distillery effluent” Sanjeev Kumar, Ravindra Singh and Sanjay Patil. Proceedings of Annual
Convention of STAI, 2002.
35. “Optimization of Media by Evolutionary Algorithms for Production of Polyols” S. V. Patil, V. K. Jayaraman and B. D. Kulkarni. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, July 2002, vol. 102, no. 1-3,
36. “Oxygen Transfer Studies on the Production of Bioglycerol: A promising by-product of sugar industry”. Patil S. V. and Sastri N. V. S. Proceedings of “Sugar 2000” Symposium held at Brisbane,
Australia and hosted by CSIRO Australia.
37. “Propagation of Pure Yeast Cultures under Plant Conditions”, S. V. Patil. A.I.D.A. News Bulletin, November, 1998.
38. “Present status of Biomethanation Plants for treating distillery effluent in the Maharastra state” S. V. Patil and B. B. Gunjal, Presented at National Symposium on ‘Recent trends in Biological
Treatment of Industrial Wastes’ organized by Agharkar Research Institute, February 21-23, 1996.
39. “Improved Technique for the Treatment of Compressed Yeast for Distillery”. U. M. Kale, M. L. Kadam, C. S. Shinde & S. V. Patil Proceedings of the 41st Annual Convention of Deccan Sugar
Technologists’ Association, Pune, 1991.
40. “Screening of Osmophilic Yeasts for Bioglycerol Production” S. V. Patil and S. D. Borawake. Annual Convention of Deccan Sugar Technologists Association”, 1989.
41. “Continuous Fermentation by Immobilized Yeast Cells”. R. B. Natu, P. S. Shinde, C. S. Shinde, S. V. Patil & S. J. Jadhav. Proceedings of the National Seminar on Continuous Fermentation
Process Vis-a-vis Batch Fermentation Process for Distilleries, 1988.
42. “Continuous Fermentation of Sugarcane Molasses to Ethanol using Immobilized Yeast”. R. B. Natu, S. D. Borawake, S. V. Patil, A. D. Sawant and S. J. Jadhav, Bharatiya Sugar, July, 1987
43. “Continuous Ethanol Fermentation by Immobilized Yeast Cells”. R. B. Natu and S. V. Patil, Presented at 24th Annual Convention of Indian Chemical Society, 1987.
44. “Continuous Ethanol Fermentation by Immobilized Yeast Cells” R. B. Natu, P. S. Shinde, C. S. Shinde, S. V. Patil and S. J. Jadhav. Presented at 37th Annual Convention of Deccan Sugar
Technologists’ Association, 1987.
45. “Clarification of Molasses for Improved Fermentation” G. M. Joshi and S. V. Patil. Presented at 35th Annual Convention of Deccan Sugar Technologists’ Association. 1985.