Farm Development and Management
Objectives of Farm Development and Management
1) Provide land and facilities to the scientists for field experiments.
2) Perform all sugarcane cultivation practices of various experiments at appropriate time.
3) Conduct field demonstrations of latest sugarcane production technologies for quick dissemination to visitors/ cane growers.
4) Provide Sugarcane Breeder Seeds of improved varieties to farmers & member mills.
5) Keep Institute’s farms – Manjari, Vasantdada, Naigaon, Lonarwadi and Amboli well equipped & organized.
6) To maintain soil fertility & increase per unit sugarcane productivity of institutes farms.
7) To develop institutes farms.
Land availability and utilization for different purposes
The Institute is having 267.12 ha farm area. Out of this 13.61 ha farm area is at Amboli, Sindhudurg district and remaining 253.51 ha area at Pune district - Manjari (56.39 ha), Vasantdada (36.00 ha), Naigaon (117.26 ha) and Lonarwadi (43.86 ha)
About more than 56% area is under cultivation from the available land (267.12 ha), out of which 30% area used for conducting various field experiments, breeding program, rotational crops & green manuring crops improves the soil fertility and productivity. As well as field demonstration trials of various sections of Agriculture Division is also carried. Rest of 30% area used for breeders seed production. Remaining 40% area is kept fallow every for next year planting. Fallowing reduces infestation of weeds & pest due to repeated tillage operations in the fallow field. Research work is a continuous activity of Agriculture Division hence the Farm Development and Management has been allotting more than 38 ha land for conducting various agricultural research activities. A Sugarcane Breeding Center is established at Amboli for varietals improvement.
1) Cultivation practices & crop maintenance in the research trails.
2) Land development.
3) Breeder seed production program.
4) Provide Sugarcane Breeders Seeds & one eye bud settling of improved varieties to farmers & member mills.
5) Keep Institutes farms Manjari, Vasantdada, Naigaon, Lonarwadi and Amboli (Sindhudurg) well equipped and organized.
The Farm Development and Management is fully engaged to carry out different cultivation practices right from the tillage to harvesting of all research trials and production of Breeders Seeds and Sugarcane Settling.
To contact the Farm Development and Management section, please click here.
1. Sugarcane Breeder Seeds