The Agronomy section main goal is to accelerate the economic status of sugarcane farmers by adoption of appropriate, innovative, advanced and cost-effective technologies in sugarcane cultivation. (Agronomic packages).
The section works with following general objectives
1. To collect information regarding latest happenings in the field of sugarcane & sugarbeet agronomy at a global and national level.
2. To implement micro level planning of cane development to increase the average cane productivity.
3. To device an action plans to utilize the acquired knowledge of crop cultivation in improving and sustainable crop productivity with cost effective techniques and thereby assisting in achieving the target of increase in average cane yield and sugar recovery of the state.
4. To have inter-disciplinary approach within the institute and also with other organization at national/International level for planning and implementation of research projects.
5. To impart the training to the sugarcane cultivators, agricultural staff of sugar factory and Government officials about sugarcane, sugarbeet cultivation and ratoon management for sustainable cane and beet productivity.
6. To conduct need based applied research on crop geometry, fertilizer requirement of new varieties, weed control, crop rotation, intercropping, mechanization and ratoon management in sugarcane as well as sugarbeet crops.
7. To transfer the improved technologies of crop cultivation & fertilizer management to the cane growers.
8. To establish sugarbeet cultivation in the operational areas of existing cane sugar industries as a supplementary crop.