Extension and Advisory Services
Extension and Advisory Services
Under the extension and advisory services, the Sugar Technology department has been successful in guiding the sugar factories to improve the performance of the sugar mills with regard to capacity utilization, reduction of sugar losses in the manufacturing process, production of superior quality sugar i.e. low ICUMSA colour of sugar and conservation of energy & water. The department also extends consultancy services to factories on alteration/modification of existing machinery for stabilization, addition of new equipment, replacement of old and outdated equipment for modernization and expansion projects. Required technical assistance also provided during implementation of such projects. Technical audit and performance evaluation of sugar mills is undertaken. Condensate polishing unit, achievement of zero raw water requirement and reduction of waste water generation to less than 100 lit/ton of cane and zero discharge in inland surface water.
Consultancy services are being extended to the sugar mills all over India and abroad as per the request for the improvement of overall technical performance and trouble shooting, etc. Sugar Technology Department also prepares Detailed Project Reports for expansion/ modernization/ refined sugar production.
The Sugar Technology Department provides Extension, Advisory and consultancy services to sugar and allied by-product industries by visiting more than 250 member and non member sugar factories every year. During the consultancy visits, systematic approach is made to find out the deficiencies/causes of the problematic areas and remedial measures are suggested to improve the technical efficiency, which ultimately reduce the cost of production and increase the profitability of the factory. Focus is made to improve the capacity utilization, minimizing total losses, conservation of steam, power, fuel, water and production of better quality sugar.
Some of the activities are furnished below for which the services of consultancy are extended;
1) Improvement in the capacity utilization of the plant
2) Minimization of down time
3) Improving the quality of sugar
4) Conservation of steam, power and water
5) Steam and power balance
6) Optimization of chemicals
7) Automation of various sections of a sugar factory
8) Staffing pattern fixation with reference to the layout of the plant
9) Preparations of detailed project reports (DPR) of sugar factory boiling house expansion and modernization, sugar refinery, vapour condensate polishing,effluent treatment plant etc.
10) Balancing of plant and machinery for capacity utilization and improvement in technical performance
11) On site, colour audit of various intermediate products of sugar manufacturing process and suggesting appropriate measures for improving the colour of sugar
12) Zero raw water requirement
13) Reduction of sugar losses in the manufacturing process
14) Selection of candidates for technical posts..
15) Water balance and ETP adequacy assessment
16) ETP performance assessment
1) The laboratory of Sugar Technology Department is accredited by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) New Delhi, as per ISO/IEC 17025 since 2003. Sugar, molasses, bagasse and other intermediate products of sugar manufacturing process and boiler water are analysed in the laboratory. Highly sophisticated & precision apparatus/equipment and reputed standard chemicals/reagents are used by well qualified & trained analysts to get accurate results, which are totally reliable....