1. Guiding sugar and allied co-product industries in their efforts to achieve economic development with minimum use of resources and energy input by way of advancement, development and adoption of better technology in its area of focus i.e. effluent treatment and pollution control.
2. Identification and development of innovative, cost effective technologies for transfer to the industry.
3. Environmental services to the industry by way of technical reports, environmental audits, Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) reports, effluent treatment, environmental monitoring, analytical services etc.
4. Training manpower from the sugar and distillery industry in environmental management for better functioning of effluent treatment plants, biogas plants and composting units.
5. Dissemination of information related to environmental issues and legislation, creating awareness in the industry and conducting workshops on latest developments in environmental technologies and legislation.
6. Developing linkages with other R&D institutions and organizations for collaborative work.